Essential Oils to Minimize the Health Hazards of Wildfires
According to a recent study by the Canadian Journal of Forest Research, wildfires significantly impact health the health of people living in their vicinity. From increases in mortality risk, restricted activity days, lost wages, and acute respiratory symptoms, the particulates and toxins released in the air by wildfires can cause immense damage to health.
Smoke and particulates in the air from wildfires can exacerbate existing respiratory issues, such as allergies, asthma, bronchitis, and etc…, and be particularly problematic for children and the elderly. They can also cause problems for previously healthy individuals and make everyone more susceptible to respiratory infections such as cold and flu.
Common Health Issues with Wildfires & Our Solutions
- Coughing — Diffuse Purification and/or RC oils at home with a cold-air diffuser. Apply Purification and/or RC oils on the balls of the feet, tops of feet, and toes as well as the throat 2x/day or more to help with respiratory symptoms.
- Scratchy throat — Add a couple of drops of lemon oil to hot water with honey and drink.
- Irritated sinuses — Purification, peppermint, or RC oil can also be lightly dabbed on the cheeks over the sinuses. Dilute, use caution, and don’t use peppermint oil in this case with children as it is too strong for them. For sinus issues, add Purification or RC oil to salt for use in nasal irrigation. Add 18 drops of essential oil to 8 Tbsp. of fine salt. For each nasal irrigation session, dissolve 1 tsp. of the salt in 1 1/2 c. distilled water and irrigate as normal. Keep the salt in a sealed container. Sinuses can also be gently swabbed with a drop of either essential oil diluted 2:1 with a vegetable oil.
- Shortness of breath — Diffuse Purification and/or RC oils at home with a cold-air diffuser. Apply a hot compress with frankincense oil on chest as needed to open up lungs (may do up to 2x/day). For severe respiratory distress, essential oils can be retained rectally (there is a nerve in the rectum that is connected with the lungs). Mix 15-20 drops of Purification or RC oil in a tablespoon of olive oil or other organic, cold-pressed vegetable oil. Place the mixture in a small syringe and inject into the rectum. Retain through the night or longer. Clean and disinfect the applicator after each use.
- Chest pain — Apply Peace & Calming or Aroma Life oil over the heart and down the insides of the arms. Retain essential oils rectally as described above.
- Headaches — Diffuse Purification and/or RC oils at home with a cold-air diffuser. Dab oils on sinuses. Apply peppermint oil on site of headache.
- Stinging eyes — Diffuse Purification and/or RC oils at home with a cold-air diffuser and apply to bases of 2nd and 3rd toes.
- A runny nose — Diffuse Purification and/or RC oils at home with a cold-air diffuser. Dab oils on sinuses.
- Asthma exacerbations — Diffuse Purification and/or RC oils at home with a cold-air diffuser. Apply Purification and/or RC oils on the balls of the feet, tops of feet, and toes 2x/day or more to help with respiratory symptoms.
**Please seek medical attention, if available, in addition to our essential oil remedies for persistent respiratory issues**
Other Wildfire Tips
- Get away from the smoke if you can. Run the air conditioner with the windows closed.
- Apply a few drops of Valor to the feet 2-3x daily to help oxygenate the blood.
- Diffuse Thieves or use topically/internally to boost the immune system and keep cold/flu at bay.
- Add several drops of Purification oil to the laundry to help rid clothing and drapery of the smell of smoke.
- In the event of water damage, diffuse Thieves oil to kill mold. Read here for more information on mold removal with Thieves oil.
“My 6 year old daughter has always been prone to respiratory problems brought on mostly with colds or allergies. On those particular nights, she(we) would be kept up coughing. These episodes would usually be met with holding her upright on pillows all night, sitting on the toilet with her steaming away in the bathroom, or as a last resort, pumping her with steroid inhalers.
. . . all I do now is rub a little RC [diluted] . . . on her little chest and a few coughs later she is peacefully asleep! It has also worked for my husband and myself, AND I shared this trick and my oils with my neighbor who’s daughter came home from preschool with croop. The next morning she came over to my house so excited. Her daughter woke up healthy and rested and she sent her right back to preschool. The more I explore, the more I am loving these darn oils!”
- Julie R., CA
“”I am a flight attendant and can spend anywhere from 2-4 nights in a hotel a week. Part of my nightly regimen is to take a cotton ball, cover in oil, and place in the vent(s) to purify the air. It is an alternative, if you don’t own a travel diffuser or lack space in your bag to carry. The two oils I use often, Thieves and Purification. I noticed a difference in the air and when I awake in the morning. I have also noticed a difference with my allergies.”
- Dorothy R., AZ
“I live in an area of the nation with severe pollution all through the winter causing difficulty in breathing and prolonging colds much longer than I am used to. One time it got so bad that I went ahead and tried frankincense oil in a hot compress on my chest over my lungs. Within a few minutes, I could breathe at least 3-4 times more deeply than I could before!”
- Julie B., UT
“My 3 year old son has always been sick with respiratory issues since birth. When he was 3 he was diagnosed with asthma. We have been constantly in and out of the Dr. and allergy specialist. When he gets sick we are doing breathing treatments and inhalers all day, for weeks. His quality of life was greatly inhibited. He could not play for long, or act like a kid.
About a month ago a friend of mine invited me to an Oil class. I left inspired from all the testimonial’s. We started rubbing peppermint oil on his feet 3 times a day. I am happy to say he has not needed one nebulizer treatment, inhaler, nasal spray, or allergy meds. In a month. Not one! I have been totally amazed. We recently bought some RC and have added it to our daily oil routine. My little boy can finally act like a little boy.”
- Heather P., OK
People who enjoyed this article also enjoyed:
Julie Behling-Hovdal is a reflexologist/holistic healer and founder of Essential Survival where she teaches people how to prepare for the #1 cause of death in the event of an economic collapse — lack of access to medicines. In 2005 Julie was able to get off 4 prescription drugs and heal from a 6-year stint of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and fibromyalgia with products from Young Living Essential Oils. Get a free copy of her report “Fast Track Survival Medicines” at http://essentialsurvival.org/fast-track-survival-medicines/.
We are here to serve you. If you have any questions about the value of our products in helping you be prepared to take care of your health, please contact us.
Statements made about the essential oils that come in the Essential Oil Survival Kit and other products offered by Essential Survival have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone suffering from disease or injury should consult with a physician.
Last updated byat .