Weight Loss – it’s Not All Cosmetic
Over 2/3 of Americans over the age of 20 are overweight or obese, and the number of obese people in the nation has doubled since 1970. Along with the extra fat comes increased risk for a number of diseases, including cardiovascular problems, stroke, diabetes, and cancer. People who are overweight are also much less likely to have good physical stamina.
How would you like to do any of the following? –
- Save money on medical expenses,
- Be less dependent on drugs and doctors,
- Be more prepared to take care of yourself and your family daily as well as in an emergency,
- Have more energy,
- Feel more attractive . . .
If you are carrying around a gut or have some “junk in your trunk”, losing some weight will help you to do each of these!
Causes of Weight Gain
In many people, weight gain can be boiled down to a few, oftentimes interconnected root causes –
1. Poor lifestyle choices,
2. Chronic stress,
3. Hormone imbalance (especially insulin and cortisol),
4. Food sensitivities/drug toxicity.
A stressful lifestyle can lead to an unhealthy diet because an individual may have little time to prepare healthy foods. The poor diet combined with the stress can lead to hormone imbalance. Drugs may be prescribed to cover up the symptoms of the imbalances, only leading to further hormone imbalance and the cycle keeps going on and on. . . .
Getting back on track with our weight often requires addressing multiple areas of our lives at once — our emotions, sleep patterns, dietary choices, exercise levels, and more — which can lead to frustration and overwhelm.
I don’t have all the answers for everyone in this short article, but I can share a few powerful tips on how 3 of our essential oils can help to overcome some of the most common obstacles to releasing extra weight — cravings, appetite control, toxins in the body, and even issues with insulin and cortisol.
Peppermint essential oil has been researched and shown to reduce appetite and curb cravings — a key component to weight loss when uncontrollable cravings can derail even the most determined individual. In a recent study by Dr. Bryan Raudenbush at the Wheeling Jesuit University of West Virginia, it was discovered that individuals who inhaled peppermint oil over 2 week period consumed on average 3,000 less calories per week than those who didn’t use the peppermint. Not only that, the peppermint users reported a feeling of being satiated when inhaling the peppermint and didn’t feel deprived by their reduced caloric intake!
How can you use peppermint to support weight loss?
- Inhale therapeutic-quality peppermint oil before a meal — you’ll automatically feel more full, so you won’t eat as much!
- Inhale peppermint oil before exercise to increase your stamina.
- Add peppermint oil to your water. In a glass pitcher, add 4-5 drops of peppermint to 2 quarts of pure water. You may add 1 drop to a glass of water. This is very refreshing, and also good for digestion.
- Take peppermint/lemon capsules up to 3x/day (see below)
Lemon essential oil is extracted from the rind of the fruit, and has properties that can boost the body’s metabolism as well as help to dissolve fat and clear the toxins that are held in fat cells. Who needs liposuction when lemon oil applied to the skin can help burn some of that extra fat away?! Even cellulite can be dissolved with consistent use of lemon oil.
Lemon oil can be used internally, topically, and aromatically to give you an extra edge with your weight loss.
- Add 1 drop of lemon oil to a glass of water. Drink throughout the day to help boost your metabolism and detoxify your body.
- Mix 3-4 drops of lemon oil with 1 tsp. extra-virgin coconut oil and apply over belly, hips, buttocks, and thighs to help dissolve fat and tighten skin.
- Take peppermint/lemon capsules up to 3x/day. To make the capsules, get blank capsules from your local health food store. Pour in a few drops of olive oil, followed by 2 drops each of peppermint and lemon oil. Put the top on the capsules, shake, and take as you would any capsule.
Ocotea oil is distilled from a tree in Ecuador, has a light cinnamon-like aroma and flavor, and has been used for centuries by native populations for its aromatic, flavorful, and anti-fungal properties. Recent clinical research on this rare oil has revealed it to be potentially valuable in helping to control blood glucose levels, lower cortisol levels, and curb food cravings.
Participants in clinical research have experienced more balanced blood sugar levels, clearer thinking, fewer food cravings, weight loss, and even less need for medications to control blood sugar problems.
Hit a home run with your weight loss goals by adding ocotea to your regimen –
- Use 1 drop of ocotea in a glass of water in the afternoon, or up to 3x/ day to balance blood sugars and curb cravings.
- Try adding 1 drop of ocotea to the lemon oil/coconut oil combination (above) to enhance the fat-busting effect.
- Use a couple of drops of ocotea under the tongue, up to 3x/day or as needed for extra help with blood sugar issues.
***Update — A recent study has revealed that grapefruit and cypress oils help dissolve fat when diluted in a carrier oil and massaged into areas of excess fat such as the belly***
A Few Final Thoughts
As you embark upon a healthier lifestyle and begin to drop that extra weight, be sure to include plenty of enzyme-rich foods such as vegetables in your diet. Limit your exposure to simple carbohydrates, particularly anything with high-fructose corn syrup, sugar, and white flour. Limiting your consumption of grains may also be helpful, as many people have sensitivities to grains and don’t even know it. Avoid artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose and trans-fats like the plague. Seek to be consistent, but allow yourself some wiggle room.
A weight loss plan with a common-sense foundation combined with the “secret weapon” of our pure, therapeutic-quality essential oils will bring better results than with just diet alone.
If you suffer from any health condition, be sure to consult with your health care provider as you become more fit, more lean and mean, and ready to take on the world!
Julie Behling-Hovdal is a reflexologist/holistic healer and founder of Essential Survival where she teaches people how to prepare for the #1 cause of death in the event of an economic collapse — lack of access to medicines. In 2005 Julie was able to get off 4 prescription drugs and heal from a 6-year stint of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and fibromyalgia with products from Young Living Essential Oils. Get a free copy of her report “Fast Track Survival Medicines” at http://essentialsurvival.org/fast-track-survival-medicines/.
Statements made about the essential oils that come in the Essential Oil Survival Kit and other products offered by Essential Survival have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone suffering from disease or injury should consult with a physician.