Hurricanes. If you’re from Florida like I am, it’s a familiar game — stocking up on batteries, water, and food. Bringing in the pets. Watching the news to hear where the latest storm will make landfall. I had moved from Florida to Georgia in the summer of 2004 and mostly missed out on the most active hurricane season of the century. But I was back in Florida in 2005 and remember keeping my eyes pealed to the television as Hurricane Katrina made her way into the Gulf of Mexico and was headed right for my city — Tallahassee, FL. I was relieved when she turned course, then horrified at the damage and loss of life that occurred. Hurricane Katrina was a HUGE wake-up call for me that I had better get prepared now, before any more storms could hit.
When a severe hurricane hits, chances are there will be a few people who sustain damages to their homes and there may be some flooding in some areas, and a whole lot of people will be inconvenienced. But we probably won’t see the type of devastation that took place with a “perfect storm” like Katrina. Whether you live in “hurricane alley”, along a fault-line, or anywhere on planet earth where disaster could strike, it is times like these that remind us of the necessity to get prepared.
Check out the most common health hazards and injuries in the aftermath of a hurricane, according to the CDC, and see how the essential oils in our Essential Oil Survival Kit go WAY beyond the call of duty –
Our Solutions for Top Health Hazards in a Hurricane Aftermath –
- Carbon monoxide poisoning — Immediately move the affected individual to an area with fresh air, and call for medical help. To help re-oxygenate the body, do the following protocol every 3-4 hrs. Massage a few drops of Valor on bottoms of feet. Sprinkle several drops of Purification oil along the spine and lightly massage into the tissue. Diffuse Purification oil and massage 4 drops on the feet, focusing on the balls of the feet, tops of feet, and bases of toes.
- Mosquitoes — Dilute Purification oil 50/50 and apply to exposed skin. To make a non-toxic insect repellent spray for the whole family, fill a 4 oz. glass spray bottle with distilled water and 9 drops Purification. Spray liberally to exposed areas. To take the itch and sting out of bites, apply a drop of Purification oil neat on location. Lavender may be added to speed the healing.
- Bites from wild or stray animals — Cleanse the bite with a couple of drops of Thieves oil neat or diluted. Diluted peppermint oil may be dabbed around the bite for pain.
- Electrical & Fire Hazards — In the event of electrocution, apply frankincense oil neat along the temples, neck, and spine. For electrical burns, apply helichrysum oil to help the tissue to regenerate. For traditional burns, apply lavender oil neat on location or dilute with a carrier oil.
- Mold growth — To kill or prevent the growth of airborne mold, diffuse Thieves oil for up to 24 hours. To help the body clear molds and fungi, apply a few drops of Thieves oil daily to the feet and/or armpits. For more information on home mold removal with Thieves, click here.
- Physical and emotional exhaustion — For physical and mental exhaustion, simply inhale peppermint oil. For emotional exhaustion, apply a couple of drops of Valor oil to the feet and shoulders in the morning, and use Peace & Calming on the feet at night before bed. Inhale deeply. These oils are also safe and effective for children, babies, the elderly, and even pets.
- Musculoskeletal injuries — For broken bones, apply PanAway oil neat or diluted on location, avoiding any open wounds. For sprains and strains, massage PanAway diluted or neat on location (dilution is recommended especially for larger areas). Peppermint oil may be added.
- Overheating — Apply peppermint oil to feet and across shoulders. Apply a cold, damp towel over the area for further cooling. Peppermint oil may also be added to drinking water to keep cool (use glass or stainless steel containers, avoid plastic).
- Infection from wounds — Lavender disinfects and heals wounds of all types. Apply neat on location or dilute with a carrier oil. Thieves or Purification can be used for further disinfection. Apply neat or diluted directly to wound as needed.
- Food poisoning — Take 4-6 drops of Thieves oils 2x/day and as needed. This can be in capsules along with a few drops of olive oil or added to water. Peppermint oil can soothe the digestive tract and help reduce digestive symptoms. Apply a couple of drops to the belly as needed.
- Disease from contaminated water — Boil water at a a rolling boil for 1 minute to kill bacteria. If that is not a possibility, add 1/8 teaspoon (approximately 0.75 mL) of bleach per gallon of water. Stir the water well, and let it stand for 30 minutes before you use it. Bleach must be less than a year old. If you don’t have bleach or prefer not to use it, some people have found that oregano oil kills bacteria in water. Add 1 drop per 4-5 gallons of water, stir, and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Flood water — Use caution when driving or navigating around flood water. In the event of water inhalation, use the protocol for carbon monoxide poisoning after moving the victim to safety, administering CPR if necessary, and calling for medical help.
- Unstable buildings — Steer clear of damaged buildings and structures until they have been inspected and determined to be safe. Leave immediately if you hear sounds of shifting materials within the building.
*If you are ill or injured during or after a disaster or otherwise, please seek medical help if available*
“My husband and I were on a camping trip with our two dogs, one a Belgium shepherd, the other a little Chiweenie. I got out of the sleeping bag the first night and when I returned, the Chiweenie bit me, a small bite, but it needed attention. The only first aid I had with me at the time was Thieves oil. I put it on my thumb and it healed nicely as we continued our week of camping.”
- Edna G., CA
“A friend had a 10 x 8 cm wound on the top part of his foot. . . . and had been trying to heal this wound for some 6 months. . . . The wound had an inch area clear around it that was very red. The wound had been oozing purulent material. I cleansed the wound with 2 applications of Thieves foaming hand soap. I then applied 2 drops of Thieves directly into the wound. While that worked, I painted the red area all around the wound with Purification. I also applied Purification to the bottom of his foot.
I then followed with 2 drops each of Lavender, Frankincense and PanAway into the wound, waiting about 5 minutes between each application of oil. He told me he could not dorsiflex his great toe without causing severe nerve pain to shoot up his leg, so I applied 2 more drops of PanAway directly to his great toe. I redressed his wound. Within 15 minutes, he could dorsiflex his toe without pain and could stand on his foot. When his wife removed the dressing the next day, it was almost 50% closed.”
- Virginia N., CA (a nurse)
“Once upon a time I had two sprained ankles at the same time and was applying the oils at maximum velocity. The pain was so great I was going into shock. I had sprains before and knew the score, I was going to be in bed for a while and crutches after that. My teeth were chattering and I was shaking so my husband layered PanAway (pain), and Valor (shock, fear and anxiety) on the ankles over and over again. In 15 minutes the pain was nearly gone and I was so relaxed I fell asleep for the night. When I awoke in the morning, I was able to walk and go about my business. We were amazed!”
- Mary D., NE
People who enjoyed this article also enjoyed:
Julie Behling-Hovdal is a reflexologist/holistic healer and founder of Essential Survival where she teaches people how to prepare for the #1 cause of death in the event of an economic collapse — lack of access to medicines. In 2005 Julie was able to get off 4 prescription drugs and heal from a 6-year stint of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and fibromyalgia with products from Young Living Essential Oils. Get a free copy of her report “Fast Track Survival Medicines” at http://essentialsurvival.org/fast-track-survival-medicines/.
We are here to serve you. If you have any questions about the value of our products in helping you be prepared to take care of your health, please contact us.
Statements made about the essential oils that come in the Essential Oil Survival Kit and other products offered by Essential Survival have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone suffering from disease or injury should consult with a physician.
Last updated byat .